View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #49
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, Findegil

This discussion can serve you for preparation when you arrive at the Tale of Aredhel and Eöl and Maeglin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post

For me stil the best solution Tolkien came up with the story of a Tatyarin Avari. Since there was intermarraging between the clans he still could be a kin fo Thingol (who by the way seems to be akin to nearly everyone). Eöl being of Tatyarin blood would also explain why the marriage between his son Maeglin and Idril was out of question, when in other places a relatiuonship between first-cousins is allowed if the unrelated parents are not akin at all.

I am sure that, if ever we came to the story of Maeglin, Eöl will give us a hard nut to crack.
Findegil
I only can say that its my opinion too, but (I think that) the return to the Teleri side was later and in this case must be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
That Eöl had a relation to Thingol simply by living in Nan Elmoth is a given, so that does not explain (for me at least) what Tolkien meant with 'but the relationship to Thingol would have a point'.

That Thingol is of a born genaration and not one of the awoken 144 is asured by him having a 2 brethern. Therefore we would not need Eöl to make that clear.
Findegil
In this matter I had adopted a diplomatical attitude. I still think what wrote in earlier posts and will not say again, but in the text I don´t identify in any case imin, Tata and Enel with Ingwë, Finwë and Elwë, the only manifiest alussion is that of the lammas that Ingwë war the fisrt to awake, the reader will extract his proper conclusions.

Greetings.
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote