View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #121
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Surely, Tolkien recognizes this as the moral fault. As, from above, do I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
In ME point of view, even if death was to be a gift, we are not to shorten someone's life wilfully (which goes with the first case as well, this is just the actual meaning of the Old Testament commandment), because the time is given to Gollum, and when it ends, it ends. If we are given our own choice, we should let him live.
We are in agreement then on both accounts. I have expressed similar positions in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalauare
I would say that justice is inapplicable in Gollum's case.
Hm, I don't know. Even in the primary world, there are many ways in which various cultures see punishment. An american teacher once told me of a tribe which punished two members who killed by having them survive for several days in an harsh environmnent (she said the US governmnent allowed this, instead of a 'modern' trial). Beregond is somewhat punished in a similar fashion, by his 'exile'. I certainly believe that community service is better than any prison; criminals working to atone for what they did is much more helpful for everyone. I have been told that in various parts in Africa, criminals and the families they hurt go together through various programs, of what he may call healing; I believe it is not a singular instance. Perhaps a similar blending, which would stimulate change in Gollum, and give him a chance for good through effort, might attain both scopes.