View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 05:07 PM   #346
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My, my, so much to respond to.

I'm not confortable with Hanasian as a NCE. SNowdog has put a great deal of work into developing that character and his history. Whilst we could perhaps approximate something in line with his creative vision for Hanasian, I doubt we could nail it as he could.

Knowing how attached I get to characters that I've created, I wouldn't like to contemplate writing someone else's as a NCE and muffing it up. So my opinion, for what it's worth, is that we arrange a passing of the torch from Hanasian to another character (passing on necessary info). This way, the story line can flow forward with this new evolution and Snowdog's Hanasian is not eroded by NCE activities.

Evolution and change is the lifeblood of collaborative writing, be they free form RP or planned ones such as this. Change is necessary. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

OK, here are the responses to questions:

1) What happens to Vanwe once Naiore abandons her?

Well, interesting question. Vanwe is abandoned by Naiore at Imladris, as she will send Vanwe in to do her dirty work and hence Vanwe will fall into the waiting net. What happens to her depends on whose hands she falls into. If she falls into Kaldir's, I cannot yet predict what comes to pass.

If she falls into the Dunedain's or Imladris', then she will face the gruelling process of learning the truth of her mother.

Regardless, the plot outline is clear enough that however this comes to pass, Vanwe learns the extent to which she has been betrayed by her own mother and sets off after her for a reckonning. Being the daughter of two formidible Noldor, she is something to contend with despite her habit of minimising and underestimating herself.

She'll either set out alone, fleeing Kaldir, or with those who set after Naiore from Imladris, all depending on the above.

2) [I]Where does fear actually spawn?[I]

This question of Naiore's is the root of much of her choice. She is, aside from all else, a philosopher. Her empathic senses detected an undercurrent of fear behind the culturally advanced and sophisicated facade of the Noldor. I chose fear based on my own exploration of the nature of primal motivations, instincts and so forth in my student days.

There is no defined answer to this riddle, hence Naiore fruitless search through all the years. Fear spawns in an unknowable place deep within us all. She cannot possibly extract it as it's interwoven throughout us. It cannot be measured or quantified. She's become a master at eliciting it, and detecting its presence. She can control it to a fine degree. But the essense of fear is unpredictable and wild.

So Naiore will never have her answer. All her choices will be in vain, all she sacrificed (and she gave up much to freely pursue this question of hers beyond the moral bounds of her restrictive, civilised, society where base emotions such as fear, lust, rage and love are tightly controlled). For all her intelligence and ability, Naiore made fundamental errors in judgement that reflect more of herself than that which she pursues.

3) [I]Do I still intent to write Barrold Ferney?[I]

Yes, I sure do. He'll join the RP at Bree. He has a safe house and an past acquaintance with Naiore Dannan. Naiore will make for Barrold immediately once she gains Bree. She'll be sending Barrold out to earn his extortionate gold. She'll want supplies, horses, poisons... so therein lies the opportunity for Barrold to encounter the other underworld figures for the people of Bree are justifiably reluctant to do business with Master Ferney.

4) [I]Why is Naiore making for Bree?[I]

Naiore is running low on key provisions. She's been on the run in the wild for quite some time. Her push north into the Shire has been foiled, and now the Dunedain are hot on her trail and she has a hostage to manage.

In short, Naiore is under some pressure for provisions, time to plan and a place to lay low for a while. She much prefers to pre-plan, being an analytical creature. So, Naiore is making for the only safe place she knows of in the North - Barrold Ferney's. Even that's not so safe, but she has means of keeping Ferney in some semblance of control.

She needs food, fresh horses, and she needs to replentish the stuff of her trade. Poison and toxins, hone her weapons, scout the land and draw up plans. That's why she's making for Bree.

Plus, it works well for the story as characters need a place to converge and meet up.

When I next post for my characters, it shall be nightfall and at Bree that I open at. So, if you have plans for your characters that occur prior to Bree or nightfall, let me know so I don't gazump you (as in, pull the story out from underneath you).
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight