View Single Post
Old 10-01-2002, 09:18 AM   #100
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

*********Rivendell************

In fact, Elladan's mysterious whereabouts were not that surprising. As Elrohir left the stables, Meneciriel had taken his hapless brother to task for the rather obvious smile twitching around the edges of Elladan's mouth.

"What are you looking at?" she'd demanded, as she stalked out of the stables in an attempt at highest indignation which was only slightly damaged by the infectious nature of Elladan's amusement. He followed her into the halls, now smiling openly.

"He can't help it, you know, Ciri."

"Is he trying?" she snapped.

"Of course. He spoke to you, didn't he?" They had reached a small audience hall, and went in. Meneciriel sighed deeply. Elladan continued. "What do you expect from him after spending so many years in the wilderness?"

"You're a traveler as well, and so am I," answered Meneciriel, absently. She was fingering her throwing daggers, seemingly lost in thought.

"But he loves it, Ciri."

She was unimpressed with this, and told him so at great length. He listened patiently and carefully, only occasionally considering how much nicer it would be to be slacking off in the woods. Her elaborate rant finished, and acknowledged, Meneciriel sighed again. "Please tell me won't be like this the whole time, will he, Elladan?" Elladan was reassuring. Surely his brother would feel more at ease on the road than in the city. Besides, he was certain to become accustomed to her presence as time went on. In any case, she must prefer it to-

His recommendations of patience were interrupted by the loud voice of someone apparently journeying through the halls at random. "Elrohir! Meneciriel! Elladan! Elrohir! Meneciriel! Elladan! Where is everybody?" Elladan closed his eyes for a moment, gathering his stores of the very qualities he had recommended to Ciri. "Is she really coming with us?" he asked quietly.

It was Meneciriel's turn to grin. "Why, of course, my friend, what journey would be complete without her?" she asked, opening the door to allow them a view of the irritable but still eager Fanelen.
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum