View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #824
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I am not a Hebrew speaker but I did do sunday school and confirmation class back in the day and was also trained not quite so long ago in various techniques for decoding unknown languages in Linguistics class. So on the basis that adonai means Lord or master, sheva could be a variant of "shiva" the seven day mourning period in Jewish practice, and that several words are repeated I speculatively looked up a few more words such as hashachor meaning black and guess it is the ring verse. Malachi the name means angel or messenger but here I think it is used for Elf. So "Three for the Elven kings under the sky, seven for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone, nine for mortal men doomed to die, one for the dark lord on his dark throne in the land of (Mordor redacted) where the shadows lie."
That's the right quote. Shiva comes from the word sheva - seven. Malachei means "Kings of", if my grammar and conjugations are not totally off, but it is similar to the word for "angel". They have different spellings in Hebrew. I thought "bishvil"=for would give it away, but turns out it was other things.

On to you now!