View Single Post
Old 06-10-2002, 01:12 PM   #154
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio gathered Bird, Child, Rose and Veritas into Child's cabin. She, too, had noticed that the ship seemed to be heading in a definitely un-Westerly direction. She was hoping that the object she had found on the Wheel might help.

Pio pulled two objects from her pocket. Bird rolled her eyes and shook her head in wonder at the elf.

'You never cease to amaze me!This combination of elf and hobbit is a very dangerous one, I think,'she laughed, 'Quick thieving fingers and complete fearlessness!'

The elf set Veritas against the somewhat shattered door of Child's cabin to guard against unwanted eyes and ears. She laid the objects on the bed. One was a bright silver cell phone whose previous owner had apparently not missed it after Pio had borrowed it. The other object was wrapped in a piece of silk.

'O stars above,' said Child, 'You still have Mith's cellphone?!' 'But what is that other thing?'

Pio unwrapped the crystalline case with the silver bar in it containing the clear, shining crystal. 'I'm not sure what this is exactly, but I think it is something important - something that has to do with the guidance of this ship. You see how this bar has an almost uncountable number of little holes in it that the gem will fit into? Look at which hole it's positioned in right now - the 7th one. I think this represents the 7th Age - the one we're from. And if I'm right, then these other holes are other Ages, past and present, in sequential order. If we can determine how to manipulate the gem, we may be able to manipulate the ship it self. But we'll need to mobilize all our companions to get past Cirdan - that is if it really is Cirdan. Honestly I've never heard of an elf with a beard!'

The companions bent over the crystal box and threw ideas out about how to work with it. The buzz of brainstorming rose and fell.

It was in one of the quiet moments when a ringing broke into the thick silence of the cabin. Their heads all turned at once to the cellphone lying on the bed. Pio picked it up and pressed the starred key.

'Hello,' she said quietly. 'O! Mith it's you! What! Oh, yes, she's here. Hang on a bit.'

Holding her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone, Pio whispered to Child: 'Child, it's for you. It's Mith and I can't tell if he's angry or relieved.'