View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 05:14 AM   #5
R.R.J Tolkien
Wight

R.R.J Tolkien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
Now that I have (in a reverse of that old refrain) my books to hand, here's the quotes from The Book of Lost Tales: The Fall of Gondolin. Remember that this was the only long version of the Gondolin tale that Tolkien ever finished, so it's as close to 'canon' as we have.

... I mean, that's a direct statement that Turgon had catapults, even if you ignore the dragons.

As for Anarion, I can't find any statement other than that he was killed 'in Gorgorath', which isn't terribly helpful. (Though I did run into the fact that the Reunited Kingdom was prophesied to last for a hundred generations of Men... I may have more thoughts about that elsewhere.)

hS

well that sure seems to say catapults and rams. Thanks once more for the sources. But this does not come from the published sillmarillion or does it? I dont remember that. Was this written pre lotr?