View Single Post
Old 06-04-2002, 03:44 PM   #25
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Mae govannen !
I have been reading all your contributions (including the psychological essay) with the greatest interest (Though it took me hours)I just want to tell you all how much I appreciate what you have written. There is so much I agree with, but would not be able to put into words myself (English not beeing my mothertongue) I`m not sure if I should venture to contribute anything myself about the topic, it seems everything has already been said.
It always struck me that on the way to Mordor Frodo is largely seen through Sam`s eyes. Sam reveals his thoughts and feelings to the reader, but what goes on in Frodo we can only guess. The grey haven scene is so sad it made me cry, yet it is hopeful in a way and mysterious. I agree that there is more to Frodo`s decision to leave middleEarth than pain and despair.I also think that Frodo has an elvish part which makes him long for the west. Most of the other hobbits are rather simpleminded. They could neither understand nor appreciate him, among them he wouldn`t be able to develop further.The quotation from Tolkien`s letter probably explains this best.(I really would like to read his letters myself!) And since Frodo had this dream in Tom Bombadil`s house, it seems he was destined to sail west all along.? All the same, at the last goodbye I feel like I`m left there standing with Sam on the shores of middle earth with an aching and a peculiar longing in my heart...

Suilad, Guinevere

PS.I`ve just recently started using the internet and discovered this great site.I`m overwhelmed and delighted to meet so many other Tolkien-Fans from all over the world !