View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 10:12 AM   #223
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sorona

Sorona stared in disbelief as Rama explained about Wyrma and the dragon clan and their gathering of the Maenwaith people into the cities, as irony would have it, it actually pained her to know that these Maenwaith had forsaken their traditional ways. While she had exiled herself from her people she did not believe that she had entirely abandoned their ways and she could not bring herself to believe that all the Maenwaith within the city had either, there had to be another explanation! Rama then went on to tell her that many of these city Maenwaith worked on tasks that Wyrma set for them. A momentary flash of anger crossed her gold-flecked eyes, as she wondered if this Wyrma was not forcing her people into the position they now found themselves. Memories of the tasks she had been set during her imprisonment in the dark land returned to her and her eyes filled with a new fear, would Rama regard her with the same disgust that now showed in her eyes as she spoke of the choices of these Maenwaith. As if reading some of her thoughts Rama went on to explain that the missing tribes had left the desert to follow Wyrma, some out of fear, others actually supporting her plans.

“And it is not only in Umbar they live…” As the young woman’s voice trailed off, Sorona followed her gaze northward, a cold chill settled on her heart as Rama spoke of the Wryma’s fortified city. the young Maenwaith’s words finally giving credence that the vision she had borne for so long was more than a dream it was a warning, one that she was meant to deliver, but to who and why? To Rama? But she and her people seemed to know of this threat already so to what purpose was she sent to them. As she struggled with these questions, Rama conveyed to her the full extent of Wyrma ambitions.

At the revelation that Wyrma’s ambitions stretched as far as the city of Minas Tirith, the two Gondorians who up until now had remained silent now found their voices and the one who had been introduced to her a Mithadan brushed very idea off as folly insisting that any threat to the city would be meet with strong opposition. Sorona admired his faith and the strength of his words, but feared that he underestimated the threat that this Maenwaith and her followers posed to them. A direct confrontation would indeed be folly against so strong an opponent, but Sorona knew there were other, more devious ways in which a Maenwaith could bring about the fall of a city. Without its people, even knowing it was happening until it was too late. Nausea swept over her as she remembered why she knew this was so, she tore her eyes away from the two men afraid that they would see her guilt and question it.

As she stared at the sand beneath her talons, the second Gondorian, Airefalas spoke, quietly asking Rama if Wyrma being of the dragon clan meant that she could take on that form, Sorona looked up at Rama waiting to see how the young Maenwaith would answer. The slight hesitation was all the answer she needed and in that instant she believed that the dark shadow in her dream must be this Wyrma, Rama did not answer the young mans concern but abruptly apologised saying that she had spoken too much already.

“These are troubled times and we must be mindful even among those who may be friends.” Rama softly explained using her clan dialect as she conveyed the warning, Sorona nodded her understanding and continued to listen as Rama again address ed her two companions, answering the questions Mithadan posed regarding Wyrma’s position at the Umbarian Lords court. When they had finished Rama excused herself and they exchanged a few more words in private. Rama shared with her a little about her clan explaining that when Wyrma began herding the clans into the city, her mother, the clan’s leader had moved them further south hoping to escape Wyrma and her ambitions. Sorona was slightly taken aback that Rama would choose to share this with her, she had naturally assumed that she had been included in the young Maenwaiths earlier warnings after all she was now just as much a stranger in these lands and to her people as the two Gondorian men. But, Rama was opening up to her, trying to gain her trust and as the young woman continued to speak, she could see unspoken questions reflected in her soft brown eyes. Questions she was not sure she could answer even if Rama asked them; a weary sigh escaped her beak and Rama pause to look at her, concern framing her soft face.

“I am as much a stranger to these lands and its people as our Gondorian friends, “she sighed regretfully, glancing in their direction. “Much of who and what I am was lost long ago,” she pause momentarily as the regret and sorrow of that loss washed over her anew, but she forced herself to continue. “Memories of my past slowly return to me, blocked out by deep sorrow and fear, but now opening, out of need and necessity, you may find this hard to believe but it was a dream that brought me here. At first, I ignored it believing it no more than a bad dream a vision borne on the storm from whence it came. But lately the visions have became more vivid and intense, its warning more urgent. Not until this day did I realise it’s importance, I still do know why I was chosen, but I do know that what this dream portrays must be told, but I will not speak of it here,” she whispered looking about her as if she half expected to catch something watching them, but there was nothing.

Rama stared at her silently trying to digest this new information, who was this eagle and what warning did she carry? But she did not press her, instead she nodded her head understanding that revealing even the smallest part of herself brought some deep pain or regret to the eagle.

“We will leave as soon as we can and should arrive at the encampment within two hours.” Rama said after awhile, Sorona nodded appreciatively thankful that the young Maenwaith did not press her for more than she was able or willing to give. Then spreading her wings she flew up into the air and after a few minutes followed the three riders to the eagle encampment.

Last edited by Nerindel; 06-23-2004 at 05:25 PM.