View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 12:25 PM   #796
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

I'll try, okay? I just cannot resist

I think this could be Flói, one of the Dwarves who was with Balin in Moria.

Cold be my bones, under turf, under sky,
Close to deep waters forever I lie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book of Mazarbul
Flói under grass near Mirror mere
Here I came to think that this refers to someone buried near Mirrormere, for a short moment I thought of Balin - but then I remembered that Balin's tomb was inside. I also thought about maybe some other Dwarf from the Battle of Azanulbizar. But after I read the below, I remembered that quote.

From vic'try to vic'try I marched for to win,
From darkness of old the place of our kin,

This could have been many things, but in this image it fits well with the image of a fighting Dwarf - and Moria.

Counsel we heeded not,
Allies we needed not,

Wilfully they entered Moria, even though Dáin did not like it.

I slew their great leader in bright shining sun,
T'was darkness we came to turn light when we'd won,

This was actually what made me think of Flói. Because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book of Mazarbul
we slew many in the bright (...) sun in the dale. Flói was killed by an arrow. He slew the great
The black shaft it took me to darkness from light,
The first one to fall in vainglorious fight.

Black shaft = Moria. It seemed sure to me at that moment that we're speaking of Moria here. Flói is mentined as the first Dwarf killed by the Orcs.

Great riddle!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote