View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 11:12 PM   #22
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Aragorn's "crown"

For a moment it seemed to the eyes of Legolas that a white flame flickered on the brows of Aragorn like a shining crown.
LR III 2
Why, indeed, did only the Elf see this crown?

During the Third Age Men’s dominion was not yet consummate. Elves and Wizards still play a huge role in the affairs of Middle-earth. So we have these two major forces in history: The Fading Ones (The Eldar and the Istari), the once-rulers; and the Followers, the soon-to-be rulers. And Aragorn is a bridge between these two:
Quote:
I am certain that Aragorn has something of the ‘otherworld’ about him; after all, he has spent his youth in Rivendell and is one of few Men ever to be welcomed in Lorien. He has walked amongst the Elves for much of his life, and is even loved by an Elf. (Lalwendė)
That was for “otherworldly”. In the world of Men he is a Ranger, and once a knight of the two great kingdoms of Men. But thus far, his kingly side has only been revealed to the Fading Ones.

Now I believe that Aragorn had been “crowned” first in Moria, when Gandalf made him leader of the Fellowship. But hitherto he has not yet accepted this crown fully.

Hitherto, I said above. Let us look at the quote again, this time including the sentences before it:
Gimli and Legolas looked at their companion in amazement, for they had not seen him in this mood before. He seemed to have grown in stature while Eomer had shrunk; and in his living face they caught a brief vision of the power and majesty of the kings of stone. For a moment it seemed to the eyes of Legolas that a white flame flickered on the brows of Aragorn like a shining crown.
(ibid)
His companions have not seen him in this mood before—this kingly mood. It was, perhaps, in this moment that he first truly accepted this crown.
Notice that both companions have seen the vision of power and majesty in his face, while it was only the Elf who saw the crown of light. He had this power and majesty in him all along, so it could be visible for all to see, if he so wishes to reveal it. But the crown . . . he has yet to win it over Men. Only the foresighted Fading Ones could see it for now.

[NOTE: There, Fordim, I’ve transplanted that idea (of Aragorn's "crowning") to CbC. Have I ever thanked you for that encouraging rep you gave oh-so-long ago? ]

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 12-03-2004 at 11:16 PM. Reason: grandmother issues
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote