View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 AM   #15
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
A short swipe at Gandalf...

Quote:
I was also passingly annoyed by that inane speech by Gandalf about how "death comes to us all." Well, in Middle-earth, no it doesn't. Gandalf himself only came to it by happenstance not biological imperative.
Also the "far green land under a swift sunrise" line, while appropriate for Frodo, is NOT appropriate for Pippin, who, poor hobbit, will never see it, and so Gandalf's explanation only points up how alien he is and how far removed from Pippin he really is. It is as if Gandalf is relating a dream that's only purpose is to distract Pippin or comfort him with a "story," as it seems cruel to promise something to him that he will never see.

While I'm on the subject of Gandalf...I think the necessarily rough handling of Denethor's character on Gandalf's part is a direct result of the changes made to Denethor. The 'Villain of Minas Tirith' is much less effective, less noble and merits almost the treatment Gandalf gave him. But this change cheapens the role of Gandalf. It makes him seem brusque and uncaring, and he is definitely NOT! I think Gandalf the White was unfairly destabilized by the alterations made to other characters, and I realize his subtleties can't be fully explored, but he certainly seemed out of character in some ways. Perhaps this is one reason no one seems to like Gandalf the White as much as they liked Gandalf the Grey. Certainly Gandalf's active role in the passing of Lord Denethor rankled!

Not to unfairly beef on Mithrandir, there are many things I disliked and many things I liked, but this one came to mind first.

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote