View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 11:36 AM   #13
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
Looking back at it now, I don't think Gandalf looks THAT scared. I can just imagine him thinking 'oh s*d this, sorry Valar, but I'm not going to die twice' and showing us his Power in Full if the WK did land a strike..... He doesn't need his staff anyway as we can see by his destroying of Saruman's staff (both book and movie wise).
Agreed. Gandalf appears scared just before his staff explodes (and who wouldn't?). He seems a little frightened when the Witch-King barks at him while the wizard lies prone on the ground (see picture). Note that this also could be due to Pippin, behind him, considering defending the old man - Pip's like a box of chocolates...

Quote:
Yes this scene (to us Tolkien devotees) could have been better if closer to the book, but PJ obviously wanted to install some more drama out of the scene, and showing us the Rohirrim really did arrive in the nick of time. And if Theoden hadn't prattled on for half an hour to his troups (he must have seen a Middle-earth version of Henry 5th before he set out) then Gandalf might still have a staff to his name!
But the Ride of the Rohirrim takes place, from memory, after Gandalf loses his staff. Me wonders just what the Witch-King was doing between the arrival of the Rohirrim and his attack on Theoden. Are Fell Beasts afraid of mumakil?

Quote:
The film can't come close to conveying the above for me, but then I knew it wouldn't. I'm just pleased it was a good as it was. Very stirring!
Much agreed. PJ did well here.

Quote:
What about the look of despair followed by resolution on Theoden's face as he spots the mumakil, seconds after thinking his job was almost finished. You acted them off the stage Bernard!
The only downside of Bernard Hill - wonderful actor here - is that we never really get to see Eomer. He's just some other toady of the King, like the guy who dresses Theoden before the battle at Helm's Deep. You hear his name, but he seems not important to story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gandalf1.jpg (37.3 KB, 877 views)