View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #26
Gothmog, LoB
Animated Skeleton

Gothmog, LoB has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
The rings enhanced the powers of the wielder and were used to preserve things. I would say that with all sub-creation a some part of Celebrimbor's own essence did go int the three. It's the case for all sub-creation in Tolkien.

I also believe just like how Celebrimbor (possibly) tapped into the power of the sun for the Elessar, he additionally tapped into some of the raw materials whether it be light, earth or water as a source of power from the rings.

What I think is controversial is that despite what Elrond says, I believe Celebrimbor in addition tapped into some small part of Morgoth's power and this is why they were linked to the One.

Preserving the world and stopping change, in my opinion was not a completely good act and went contrary to the nature.
I guess Celebrimbor could not go behind the concept 'Rings of Power' in his efforts. The basic spells/magics/forging techniques/whatever would have been the same in all the Rings of Power. The Three would be the least corrupt because Celebrimbor focused exclusively on his own Elvish preservation agenda and not on other things Sauron might also have put into the other rings.

Whether Elves (or Men) can put parts of themselves into their sub-creations in any real sense (and not just in metaphorical sense - like, say, 'he put his heart into his work') the way the Valar/Maiar could is completely unclear. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
Gothmog, LoB is offline   Reply With Quote