View Single Post
Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #86
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
But "magic" isn't "magic" to the Elves. Walking on snow isn't "magic" to them. Their cloaks aren't "magic" either. They are as natural to elves as computers are to us. Computers aren't magic, though they would likely be called "magic" by individuals from early times.

If Elves made ropes that could come untied when commanded, it would not be "magic" to them- it would just be rope, and Haldir would be just as willing to "magically" untie rope as he was to "magically" run across rope.
Well, that is how you picture it, I do not think it has ever been said that this was infact the elves relation to magic. I have not read the HoME or any letters (appart from the christmas ones) yet, so I could be wrong.

Youe argument is that there is no such thing as magic in LotR or at least that is the consequenses. If we were talking about "magic" or "whichcraft" in our world then I would gladly agree with you, but to draw a paralel between this world and ME seems wrong to me. It seems to go against the spirit of the books.

Is the mirror of Galadriel not magic either? or is it just like watching the telly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
But the rope didn't need to! One of my primary arguments is that the situation did not call for divine intervention or unexplained magic.
You are right in saying that it did not absolutely need to in order for the quest to succede, but no one said that there was a specific set of rules that had to be met for the rope to drop. It is magic! We are not supposed to have a check list. . .

They are being followed (check)
It would be usefull if the rope chose drop now (check)
Sertain doom if rope does not drop

oh darn the last one was not pressent therefor it cannot be magic!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote