View Single Post
Old 10-31-2003, 02:59 PM   #49
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Maedhros:
Quote:
Aiwendil are you referring to this:
Yes, those were the spots I was referring to. But if no one objects to them, I guess we can consider them closed.

Quote:
This was a change made by jallanite, can someone explain to me why western was changed to eastern?
Curious. FG-A-09 is not among the original changes proposed by Jallanite (in "A Project: Revising the Fall of Gondolin"). I cannot figure out (nor recall) who added it and at what point.

But I think it may be good. For there has been a general reversal of directions, since in the old account the attack began from the south and in the new from the north.

Findegil:
Quote:
What kind of monsters are here intended?
This was part of my "Ambiguous Balrog" proposal, inserted so that the following sentence did not strictly imply anything about how many Balrogs there were. "Monsters" was intended to be vague - it could refer to Balrogs, demons of some other kind (if there is such a thing), wargs, trolls, or whatever else you want. I agree that it's a bit clumsy, but it's the best I could come up with.

The chief problem I see with something like "troops" is that it sounds like it refers to the forces of Morgoth in general. In the original meaning there was quite clearly a distinction between these "demons" (meaning Balrogs) and the ordinary troops. We retain that distinction (though altering its nature slightly) with "demons and monsters", which can again be thought of as distinct from the ordinary Orcish forces.

Inderjit:

I am equally puzzled by that note. It may very well have something to do with the accompanying change of "Balrog" to "Demon". If only he had left a scrap of a note explaining the change, we'd be able to do something with it. But alas, it's simply inscrutable as it stands.

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote