View Single Post
Old 01-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, it is not the most exciting chapter but a chapter which is densely packed with information. One I found myself underlining quite a bit.

I found it surprising to learn that “first the Eldar looked in fear and wonder on the Sea there stretched an ocean, wide and dark and deep, between them and the Mountains of Aman.” What I had taken as more or less a genetic predisposition toward the sea, turns out to be a learned love, fostered by Ulmo’s words and music, in order that the Vanyar and Noldor might reach Aman as the Valar had bid them. This, as opposed to the Teleri who “were from the beginning lovers of the water”.

It does seem quite impossible that Tol Eressëa, which was originally far away from any shore, was used by Ulmo to transport the elves on their one way trip from Bay of Balar in Middle-earth, across the sea to Aman. But it is also interesting that it mentions a tale explaining that the Isle of Balar was the eastern tip of the Lonely Isle, which had broken off, and remained stationed in the Bay.

Again the Teleri are splintered, this time by Ossë who persuades the elves of the Falas (the Falathrim), to stay. These become the first mariners of Middle-earth settling in Brithombar and Eglarest, where Círdan the Shipwright (now there’s a familiar name) becomes their lord.

I have many questions after this chapter regarding Elwë. We are told that those still loyal to him, remained behind looking for their friend and kinsman, though they too wish to travel to Aman calling themselves the Forsaken People (Eglath). But when Elwë finally emerges from the trees of Nan Elmoth with Melian (the Maiar), they are amazed to see the difference in him. He seems to be a lord of the Maiar. Elwë was contented to see the light of Aman in Melian, did this same light also satisfy his followers? I think that it must have.

We are also given the beginnings of the lineage of the White Tree of Gondor. And a very special one it is, Galthilion being a lesser version of Telperion. This lends additional weight to the apparent death of that line in Minas Tirth.

One last point before I get back to work… It strikes me interesting that Galadriel has more Teleri blood than any other, having a Teleri mother and a father half Noldor and half Vanyar. She looks Vanyar and acts Noldor perhaps, but seems to become more like the Teleri with age.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 01-15-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote