View Single Post
Old 06-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #21
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
In my view, Gandalf can distinguish between evil and good, not because he is capable of evil, but rather because he is capable of understanding it.
I agree, and that's in line with Gandalf's obvious ability to get inside Sauron's head, so to speak, and correctly anticipate his thoughts and actions in the War of the Ring.

I think it's worth noting that Sauron wasn't offered a second chance, after all. He himself approached Eönwë after Morgoth's defeat, and asked for pardon. After being told that he had to return to Valinor for a judgement from the Valar, he changed his mind. I do think though that he likely would have been granted a second chance, but under the close eyes of the Valar, no doubt.
Manwë probably would have been even more vigilant with Sauron, after having been fooled by Melkor.