View Single Post
Old 10-09-2017, 01:23 PM   #32
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
1. This is a British spelling that Tolkien uses frequently in his works. In my draft I usually change them to American spelling (for myself).

2. This does indeed sound better, I will take that suggestion up into my draft.

3. In the chapter "Of the Beginning of Time" Varda makes the older stars before the Valar arrive in Arda. Thus, there are older and newer stars, the first of which she made with the light of Eru.

4. This is true, I am also unsure of the dating. I would assume that they are contemporary, and even if not, it seems more like an instance of Tolkien misremembering something he already wrote, or simply forgetting it. However, in Laws and Customs, he does give general trends in the behavior of the nerei and the nissi that say that the men are more adventerous and practice hunting more often, while the women are more concerned with lore and the home etc, while providing the qualifier that either can do whatever they want equally well. This may be an instance of Tolkien simply using a generality without providing a qualkifier, in which case it would be fine, in my opinion, to simply leave it.

5. Tolkien was trying to say that Melkor was faaar more powerful than any of the individual Valar, so that even in defeat, Manwe was wary of him. In addition, as strange as it may seem in light of Manwe's character, these are Tolkien's words, and we cannot change them simply because we do not agree with them.

6. They have not, but they have no real introduction, as Tolkien gave them none. ANy that we give them would be fabrication on our part.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote