View Single Post
Old 10-09-2005, 05:56 AM   #444
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
My dear lmp, you must realise that all this is part of England's charm, even the exasperating bits. England is higgledy-piggledy and absolutely the reverse of the more rational nations of centralised bureaucracy. Really, it is a land of Fawlty goods and Sybilitic prophecies, if not syphilitic symptoms, the latter being the unfortunate consequence of that French disease known as 1066.

But of course! Yet how else do I get to talk about it at the Barrowdowns unless I send some parts to Mordor, bequeath other parts to the Shire? (Doesn't quite seem to belong on Tolkien 2005, you know?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
As for pulling them down to make way for roads, why, now you're talking like Saruman, lmp!
All in jest, my dear Lalaith. I would have England no other way. The lovely town of Fairford is a fine example of all the quirkiness, may it never change, despite the RAF airport very much within hearing distance to let one know that it is indeed the 21st century. By the way, there is an inn, a merry old inn there (Bed and Breakfast actually) that I happily recommend to all and sundry. Though there are no cats a-fiddling or cows a-jumping, there are two dogs that would dance if they could, a host family rivaling Butterbur himself, and rooms as spacious and comfy as any hobbit would love. Now, if only they could manage a second breakfast. If you ever want to check it out, I'll tell you who they are, not feeling it appropriate to advertise them in this thread. Oops! This paragraph positively reads like the Shire! I'll have to transpose it there.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote