View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 02:35 AM   #468
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I send to Mordor the wanton destruction of my memories. My old school has 'amalgamated' with the other school in the town to become one big school and in their wisdom, they decided to demolish my old school and build a shiny new one in its place! Now bear in mind that this old school was a Victorian building with turrets, towers and quadrangles. It was no Eton (far from it) but it had history, not least my own! No longer will anyone be able to dang daringly from the landing at the top of the south tower, 60 feet above the ground. No longer will any hapless children be locked in the hatch under the 6th form common room floor. No more kids shall line their bikes up in the small quad for safety. No more will tales of the ghostly soldier keep kids from sneaking into the empty caretaker's flat. No more lofty, dusty library stuffed with ancient books (they have an 'information centre', gah.)

Most importantly of all, the place where I first read much of LotR, the far corner of the old north corridor cloakroom where the chairs were stored, has now been ground into brick dust.