View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 09:01 AM   #110
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Amandur

Amandur looked at Léspheria raising a questioning eyebrow seeing the grey mare standing patiently by the hitching post outside the inn, "Perhaps Kallo was too elusive?" she grinned but the light glint in her eyes told him that she thought otherwise, he gave a sharp whistle and sure enough the black stallion walked proudly in to the court yard as if he was waiting his call.

Once mounted he followed behind Rauthain and his hobbit passenger, through the streets of the small town they went silently, Amandur and Léspheria covertly looking for anything suspicious and for sight of Maethor or Dúlrain, "Dúlrain" he sighed under his breath, in all his thoughts of late he had forgotten the old bond between Dúlrain and Kaldir, and now it troubled him.

"What troubles you, my friend?" Léspheria asked concern laced in her words, "It is a matter I should have dealt with before now." he sighed heavily keeping his eyes on the road least she see his guilt. "Kaldir?" she urged softly, "No! Dúlrain." he answered turning his head to catch her puzzled look. "Dulrain holds a bond stronger than mere friendship with Kaldir, Brothers in all but blood." he explained "But why should this trouble you, Dúlrain seem a good man and...." but before she could finish Amandur cut in "He is not yet aware that the ranger lives, never mind that his friend has forsaken his path and chosen that of a bounty hunter!" Nodding her head and placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder she whispered gently "You have to tell him, he is a good man I'm sure he will understand." "Perhaps you are right and I underestimate my young friend." he smiled reassured by her wise words.

But suddenly he felt that he would rather, Léspheria did not enter the villians house with them, if something was to happen to her I... but his thoughts stopped as she looked his way, her soft smile filling his heart, "Léspheria " he whispered "when we reach the house will you please search the yard for clues of our friends while Rauthain and myself deal with Barrold!" she nodded but he could see that his choice had wounded her and as she looked away they said no more.

Finally reaching an old ramshackle farmhouse, they dismounted, leaving the horses behind a rocky rill and silently closing the final distance on foot, without words and the merest of glances, Rauthain dragging the hobbit behind him made his way to the back of the house, while Léspheria began searching the grounds and various outbuildings. Unsheathing his sword he banged on the door, "Open up in the name of the King!" he hollered, but hearing no answer he kicked open the door, to the rear of the house he could hear Rauthain do like wise. Cautiously sword raised he began searching the house, every closet and cupboard but to no avail. "Nothing!" he sighed coming down the old creaking wooden stairs.

As he entered the kitchen he saw Rauthain crouched on the dirty floor, "Look!" Rauthain said hearing his approach and indicating the prints on the floor. Crouching next to him he nodded his head "so they were here." "one light elf, one heavy footed man," The older ranger informed him., but no sign of the elf maidens print, either Léspheria was mistaken and Naiore has already rid herself of that burden or they carried her, "But why would they need to carry her?" he mused out loud.

"Amandur! Rauthain!" it was Léspheria's voice from outside that interrupted their thoughts, glancing at each other they made their way outside to see what she had found, for the moment forgetting master Longholes who stood nervously watching their every move

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Léspheria

Once they reached the farmhouse, Léspheria began to search the yard and outbuildings, leaving the rangers to enter the house itself. She crossed the yard occasionally stooping low and inspecting the various boot prints on the ground, quick inspection of the outbuildings suggested they were empty, but she was taking no chances, slowly unsheathing her sword she carefully pushed open the door to the first building and stepped inside.

It was dark and the only light came from the open door, as her eyes adjusted she could see that the dust lay heavy as though the building had not been used in years, an old plow lay rusting in the centre of the room, but as she searched she found things that just did not belong, fine silver cutlery, a pair of matching candle holders and an assortment of fine jewellery, obviously stolen! she thought. Finding nothing to aid their course, she moved on to the next building, but again she found nothing.

Just as she was moving on to the last building she found something unusual, two sets of foot prints leading to a tangled mass of thorns, then heading out of the yard towards the road, one set heavier as if carrying a load, going back to the thorns she carefully pushed them aside with her sword to reveal a door, "Amandur! Rauthain!" she cried back to the house, but with out waiting for them to come she opened the door.

Before her was a dank, dark and musty smelling cellar, cautiously she followed the foot prints inside, until they stopped at a disturbed area of dust, kneeing down Léspheria traced the outline of the disturbed dust with her hands trying to figure out what could have made it, suddenly a thought occurred to her and she lay down on the ground curled up as if cold and afraid, yes the same shape she thought horrified as the coldness and darkness of the small room became more apparent to her.

She was just getting up and wiping the dust from her cloak and skirts when the two rangers arrived in the door way, "What is it ?" they asked together, "Vanwe was in here and some time this morning she was carried away by two men, their trail leads back towards the road," she told them, but her thought were with Vanwe and the fear and confusion the young elf must be suffering, a sudden anger welled in her and she found herself swearing that if either of the two men injured the elf she would..... "Léspheria!" Amandur whispered his brow creased in concern.

"Yes, I'm just coming" she said startled out of her thoughts, but as she passed Amandur she sensed he was still concerned, "I am sad of heart, but will be better once we find Vanwe safe and well," she smiled weakly. "Where is our hobbit friend?" she asked noting his absence.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+