View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I Disagree with 1 point
Quote:
Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams were all members of the Inklings. In my opinion it is not that farfetched then to suspect that the Entwives were a 'parody' of their wives.
Would this not be the other way around? With the Inklings all meeting in The Eagle and Child for a regular drink and discussion, it should have been the wives looking for the men (or entwives looking for the ents)

Also from your post on mt

Quote:
Tolkien made this ‘assumption’ about the Entwives in Letter #144:
quote:

I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429-3441) when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin …

I was going to post that this says all that needs to be said that the entwives are no more.

I have been thinking… no really I have…

Could the disappearance of the entwives be a link to what was happening to Tolkien in his life at that time?

I ask this because Tolkien was fighting in the war, and was separated from his loved ones? Could this be the true reason? The letter 144 says that

Quote:
I think that in fact the Entwives had disappeared for good, being destroyed with their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance (Second Age 3429-3441) when Sauron pursued a scorched earth policy and burned their land against the advance of the Allies down the Anduin …
If the Ents lost the Entwives was this a mirror of Tolkien and his loved ones?

I so want to read more of that letter but I need to wait for payday to get a copy

Last edited by Alkanoonion; 02-13-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Alkanoonion is offline   Reply With Quote