View Single Post
Old 02-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #63
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
"Have I missed something?" asked Léof. He had just returned from the stables and had missed the entire ordeal with the Dunlending.

"Well, yes. You've missed quite an intense discussion. Come, sit down and I'll tell you about it," said Gárwine. He and Léof unstacked a table and two chairs from where they were pushed against the wall and sat down. Gárwine sighed and laced his fingers together as he decided where to start his story.

"Well, as soon as I led the Dunlending to Eodwine, there was certainly a lot of . . ." Gárwine paused to choose his words, ". . . animosity. Everybody was watching the Dunlending. The Dunlending wanted a job here, you see. Eodwine was wary; he told us of how his family was killed by those barbarians. He asked the Dunlending if he was an outlaw, and that was when the Dunlending spat out the most vile backtalk spoken in Edoras." Gárwine folded his arms and cast a despising glance at Manawyth. "He practically called Eodwine a lout and a plunderer before his very household! But it was the holbytla who convinced Eodwine to let the Dunlending stay. eodwine has had quite a sudden change of heart.

"If Eodwine will tolerate him, so will I, but I still don't trust the foreigner. My father told me too many stories about his folk. They're a wild and savage people. I've heard about how they'll burn an entire village if they find one fair-haired Rohirric child. They live in wild tribes and just seem to fight without either reason or end. And the fact that our new Dunlending friend is an outlaw on top of all that doesn't comfort me much."