View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #332
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Léof stepped forward nervously, but not because he feared Eodwine would send him away. He knew what he was going to do.

“You know my questions, Léof, but I will repeat them. What think you of service to me? How have you fared?”

“I have fared well, my lord, working here. I did not know what to expect when I came to Edoras; for a while it seemed I would not find work at all, but you gave me a chance, and I have done my best to prove the chance was not ill-given.” That was right; Eodwine had given him a chance, and it had been without inquiries to his circumstances. Why should that matter any more now, after Léof had proven himself? “I have worked hard and done my best to fulfill my duties. I would be honored to continue serving as your ostler.” And that was all. Let Eodwine judge him for what he had done, and not what his father had done to him. The question of his sister coming was a separate issue; he would bring it up with Eodwine when the time came. Besides, he owed it to Gárwine for him not to find out in so blunt a way that Léof had practically lied to him before they even really knew each other. Léof did not care to lose what seemed to be his only good friend in this place (with Æðel and him not talking) in such a way. Having so justified his decision, Léof was able to meet Eodwine’s gaze openly and without fear.