View Single Post
Old 10-19-2003, 07:40 AM   #295
ElentariGreenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ElentariGreenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There was silence in the Inn as the name ‘Mirkwood’ was said by Soronume. A quick glance from Elentari was enough to tell others in the Inn to continue their own conversations.

“Greetings, Soronume.” Elentari gestured to a seat next to her. “Please join us. Soronume, this is Finduilas, a Gondorian to whom I am now a mentor. Finduilas, this is Soronume.”

“Pleased to meet you,” said Finduilas.

“And you.” Soronume was about to ask why the woman did not look directly at him, when Elentari elbowed him sharply in the ribs, so he said instead, “Why was there such hush when I mentioned the name of your home, Elentari?”

“The wood is no longer called by that dark name. Lord Celeborn and Kind Thranduil cleansed it more than a decade ago. It is known now as the Wood of Green Leaves, a name quite suited to the now fair place. I have been fine since we last met, though the evil things I have encountered have not fared so well,” she said with a smile. “As for hearing from the others, I have briefly spoken to a few, but have had little contact with them.”

“Ah,” said Soronume. “So that is why you are not in Mir- the Wood of Green Leaves. There is now nothing for you to defend wood against.”

“Yes,” laughed Elentari. “It seems I am out of a job!”

The three friends, some old friends, others new, laughed together and told many tales. Soronume offered Elentari and Finduilas drinks, but she would drink nothing alcoholic. Eventually Elentari decided it was time to ask Soronume how he came to be in the Shire.

“So, Soronume,” said the elf. “How did you come to be in the Shire? You have not visited here often.”