View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003, 06:14 PM   #306
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

"Would that I could serve my heart, Lady." He did not stop her from touching him, though he knew he should, for it defeated his purpose. She had laid her hand against his chest, making him aware of his heartbeat. It brought to mind words he had exchanged with the Master of Buckland.

"Uien, this heart you feel beneath your hand will stop beating in a few short years, and then you will be left alone, living for years and years, heartbroken, I fear. Master Brandybuck told me a tale I had never heard, of Beren and Luthien." Recognition shown in Uien's eyes. Emotions rippled across her face, bitter joy and sweet sorrow, and a brow written with doubt. "Ah. You know it, of course. Would you go to the Halls of Mandos and beg a boon for us? It cannot be done, for I am no Beren, and Luthien was like none other, though you would be Luthien enough for me, could such a thing be. But you know better than I what dire things have come from the union of Man and Elf. Would you deny your deathlessness for me? Could you? I would not have you do so. I can serve you in all ways but one, Lady. I can adore you, worship you, serve your every need and whim, and bring you all the joy I may, but I cannot-"

Falowik's throat caught, and in that instant knew that what he could not say he could not do, for saying I cannot love you was not possible.

"I - I can, and do-" he paused yet again and swallowed, then resumed "-and do love you, Lady, but-" the words were hard to find "-we cannot be-" Scree and slush! This is hard! "-I must not husband you." He looked into her eyes. "I am sorry."

Falowik rose, wondering whether he had too much or not enough. Uien's heart was in her eyes as she watched Falowik bow, bid her farewell, kiss her hand one last time, and leave her standing in the stables; she had the presence of mind to give him the herbs she had prepared.

Falowik returned to the Inn and prevailed upon Gorby and Doderic to leave before dusk overcame. With much grumbling they did as he asked. Before the last hint of the sun had slipped from the sky, the horse and two ponies were headed east toward Bree.

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]