View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 12:09 PM   #55
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gráin lost the track he was following in the darkness. For a desperate moment he searched the ground feverishly. Every second was precious but he couldn't afford hasty decisions and wrong roads. Just then, when all hope of finding the troll in time seemed lost, the east wind brought to Gráin's ears a call that made his heart jump.

"Dáin!" Vráin's battle cry rang in the air. Gráin rushed towards where he thought the sound came from. His newly found spirit sank however soon as the dreadful roar of the troll rolled over him and froze his blood. Fright tightened like a rope around Gráin's throat. "Vráin!" he managed to whisper through dry lips.

Branches slapped Gráin in the face as he dashed through the pathless thicket. Wind howled in his ears. So it came to happen that with a clash and a bang! he run smash into a dark figure. The other axe slipped from his hand.

"Ouch!" the figure let out a cry and cursed in a familiar tongue as the heavy weapon hit its toes.

"Vráin! Is it you? Are you hurt?" Gráin exclaimed in one breath, both worry and relief echoing in his tone. "Where's the troll?" he added, at once alert.

"Dear brother" Vráin breathed heavily but sounded otherwise his cheery self again. "Were you that worried about me? he grimaced raggingly.

Gráin groaned but smiled secretly in the darkness. "Well no, I was worried about the poor troll that erred to grab you." Then he turned grave. "But where is the troll? And what about Farin and Nalin?"

Vráin told him shortly what had happened, how he'd escaped and tried to lead the troll away from the others. Just then there was a rustle in the bushes. Gráin raised his axe and Vráin swung around, still holding the bloody throwing knife and reaching for another.

Suddenly Nalin tumbled from the shadows on Vráin's tracks. The dwarf brothers relaxed but didn't let down their weapons. The expression on Nalin's face was a mixture of relief and perplexity.

"Nalin, you escaped!" Vráin cried out. "But where's Farin? Don't tell me..."

"He knocked his head and swooned. I couldn't help him... Alas! the troll must have taken him again."

"We must go and claim him! There's no time to lose! " Vráin called and was to pursue his own trail back to the troll's cave. Gráin and Nalin turned to follow him when they all heard shouts calling their names.

"Over here!" Gráin answered and soon the rest of their company reached them. Questions filled the air and for a moment the situation was chaotic. Finally Gráin managed to yell over the cacophony

"The troll got Farin!"

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]