View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 08:54 PM   #80
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

Earwen's post:

Bandits in the north! Rowan like others had gathered around Grain and Elentari as they talked. They needed someone to go and get the rangers from their camp about fifteen miles from where the company was. "Hammer and anvil! I shall go and get those Rangers here at once!" Vráin exclaimed and started towards his pony before others had the time to open their mouths. The company disagreed with that. Elentari said he could go only if someone would bear him. "I will go! And my steed is ready to bear an extra weight." Rowan said as he emerged from the group. "This is good", Elentari said, "Get ready to leave".

Rowan hurried of grabbing his sword. He got Bulëgalad, and got him ready to leave. "Ready?" Rowan asked looking backwards towards Vráin. "Ready", and they were off. It was mid-morning, and the sun was not high yet. A cool breeze blew from the north. Rowan rode like the wind, northeast of where the rest of the company was. They rode for 3 hours until they finally arrived at the border of the forest and of the ranger’s camp. It was then about mid-day. They approached slowly and cautiously trying not to make any noise. From in the trees they could hear the sound of an owl cooing. Another sound answered back. The scouts saw them. They drew their bows, and swords.

"Who are you!?" one demanded. "I’m Rowan of Long-Lake, and this is Vráin of the Grey Mountains." Rowan replied. "And what is your business here?!" Another ranger asked. "We come in search of help. We understand that bandits lie close to here and that you will not fight them alone, but enough of this talk take us to Aravorn." Vráin replied. The rangers stood looking questionably at the two men. "Now!" Vráin demanded, and they did so.

The rangers led them slowly thought the camp until the reached a large tent. A light came from inside. "He is in there" A ranger said and then left with the rest to get back to their posts. Rowan and Vráin waited outside fro a few seconds before walking into the tent. Inside sat a group of rangers in a circle. The paused their discussion as Rowan and Vráin walked in. "We need to speak to Aravorn, Privately" Rowan said. Most of the men got up but one. "You must be Aravorn" Rowan said to a young man man. "Yes I am" Aravorn answered back.

Annunfuiniel’s post:

"You must be Aravorn" Rowan said to the young man. "Yes I am" Aravorn answered back and bowed his head lightly, "And you are Rowan."

Rowan fell speechless and Vráin amused at his confused expression. The dwarf hadn’t told his companion of his earlier encounter with the Ranger. For one, they had had no chance for a decent conversation during their flight across the country, and secondly Vráin had finally come to the conclusion it might be fun to see how Rowan would react to Aravorn’s first words. Now he chuckled at his successful prank.

"Hullo Aravorn!" Vráin grinned; "We meet again!"

"Yes, Vráin; Strange are the ways of fortune that bring us together again so soon. But I doubt you came here by accident? It seems you have made use of the map that I gave you."

"Indeed we have! Elentari took a close look at it and consequentially we are now here. But lets hear the rest of the story from Rowan, now that he seems to be able to speak again."

Rowan gave Vráin a sideways glance but then he too grinned; "I’ll remember that, you little prankster!" When continuing he turned grave again; "Elentari, whom you obviously know already also, was of the opinion that we can’t avoid confrontation with the bandits. So we decided not to wait till they attack us but to charge first while we have the chance."

"And that’s why we came to seek you!" Vráin interrupted Rowan’s speech discourteously in his excitement. "You said it yourself yesterday, Aravorn, that you Rangers are too few and scattered to defeat this enemy. But you spoke also: 'Behold! You are not alone.' And these words we give back to you now: you’re not alone and together we can crush those slavering savages!"

Now it was Rowan’s, and Aravorn’s, turn to look amused as they watched how the dwarf gave his fiery speech while anxiously fingering the blade of his axe. A quick look at their faces told Vráin that it was time for him to calm down. His cheeks still flushing Vráin took a deep breath;

"So – do you have a couple men to spare? Will we ride together - though I prefer marching – and raise our swords and axes together against this foe?"

"I must take counsel with my men," Aravorn said after a short while. "For though I lead them I can’t decide for them. I have only a handful of men here and this camp cannot be left unguarded. But this I’ll warrant, Vráin son of Thráin:" he continued and set his hand on Vráin’s shoulder; "I will come with you and in unison shall our weapons be drawn, your axe and my sword."

Earwen's post:

The group took counsel for many long hours, and when the sun was setting they finally made their decision. "Go get the men ready! We will leave in a few hours," Aravorn said to one of the rangers before turning to Rowan and Vráin. "We will aid you in your fight against the bandits. We will fight along side each other. We will fight to our deaths" Aravorn promised gravely, "Go eat and rest. We have a long night ahead". And then he left.

Rowan and Vráin went outside and were taken to another tent by a ranger. He gave them food, and they ate and rested. Soon they would be leaving. A few hours later another ranger entered. "We are ready," he said as he led them to where Bulëgalad stood and they hopped on. It was now at least ten o’clock, and the sky was black. The moon was hidden behind clouds and few stars shined. Perfect for the night ride. The company took of riding swiftly. Rowan and Vráin were in front with Aravorn and the rest of the rangers followed. The passed thought the land like a murky shadow. It was not long until the group arrived at the company’s camp, where they awaited for the return of Rowan and Vráin.

[ June 13, 2003: Message edited by: elven maiden Earwen ]