View Single Post
Old 02-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #225
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor
I doubt that he saved Gandalf or helped finnish the ring's quest for aesthetic considerations. I am curious what considerations you were having in mind.
I don't see that we're ever told what his motivations are, why he does what he does or what the point of anything is as far as he's concerned - his main concern seems to be his own 'glory' & making sure everyone does as they're told.

Quote:
What do you mean? That for Eru to be convincing for you, Tolkien has to explain his omnipotence?
No - that he has to explain his character, motivations & provide convincing justifications for his actions.

Quote:
We don't even know the mystery of Men, but you require to know the mystery of Eru himself. Or judge him by not knowing that. Judge him if you will, but your analysis will be marred by its partiality of data, and thus, most likely, logically flawed.
The only 'data' is the data Tolkien has provided us with. Eru is not a 'mystery'. Eru is an invented character within a fictional world. This 'mystery' you perceive in him is your own addition. What I know from the data supplied is that Eru is an undeveloped figure whose behaviour is not properly explained & that is what I'm judging.

Quote:
What would be one such illogical action?
I think the knots Tolkien ties himself in over Manwe's treatment of Melkor (as set out in Osanwe Kenta) shows that he realised that Manwe's behaviour made absolutely no sense (& I have to say that the 'explanation' he comes up with didn't convince me for a minute)

Quote:
I disagree; I was addressing your statement that "Numenor requires Eru's incarnation into Arda" by discussing the necessity of it due to Melkor's immense power which he invested in corrupting Arda. You can backtrack that yourself.
...which 'backtracking' lead me back to my point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Only in the beginning. Its clear that by the time of his fall he was far from superior.
Quote:
Therefore, I see no problem with Arda being free for a while from the strong corruption of Melkor it later has.
So when Tolkien stated that Arda was created with the potential for, if not the inevitability of, a fall inherent in it, he meant it was created without that potential for a bit & then the potential was added in after that - so Eru not only could, but actually did, create Arda without that potential, but then introduced it in? Sorry, but i'm not sure that stands up...

Quote:
Your generalisation is unwarranted; the initial quote didn't say "any" of his own, while clearly stating a difference between his own and the Enemy.
So to say

Quote:
"He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any Enemy, not even by ourselves. ".
is an entirely different thing to saying "He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of any of His own?

Are hairs not being split here?

Quote:
So has Tolkien in his 1971 BBC interview
Oh, come on - the simplest & most obvious interpretation of Tolkien's response is that he was referring to Eru, the 'God' of M-e.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote