View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #159
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Been to see it again and my first impression was just how packed the cinema was for 11.30am on a Monday morning! We were lucky to find a decent seat - lots of small boys came in and sat near us and were engrossed in it all, gasping at Gollum.

It was even more enjoyable the second time around. One reason is we saw it in plain old 2d. It really doesn't actually need any tricksy stuff like IMAX, 3D and 48fps. I'd only bother with those things if they are to your particular taste. And the other reason is of course all the tension of "What will he have done with this?!" is taken away and you can just absorb everything. I picked up on so much more of the detail this time, and that's one of the things I do particularly enjoy in Jackson's adaps - I think with even more repeated viewings I'll find yet more to see.

One plot point that did come through stronger to me this time was how Thorin wants to keep his mission secret because he suspects others will also be keen to raid Erebor and the treasure there is his. There was also a very distinct impression that now there are signs Smaug has 'gone' (Oh how wrong they will be) not all the Dwarves are willing to show brotherhood - Dain refusing to help was mentioned, and Thorin underlines throughout how his group is loyal. I sense traitorous Dwarves on the horizon. That also helps understand why Thorin is so intolerant of the unwilling Bilbo (he is not as loyal/keen as his Dwarves) and unwilling to seek the help of Elrond or the Elves in general.

I also got more of an impression that the reason Saruman and Elrond don't give a backing to Thorin's mission is that they do not want to break an uneasy peace. Putting this with the message throughout the film that these Dwarves actually do not have a home, and their situation comes across as quite tragic.