View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 01:39 PM   #25
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I've been thinking about my personal reaction to this aspect of Tolkien's Leaf by Niggle. I agree with his ideas on a sub-creative Paradise, but since I'm not willing to accept the concept of purgatory, whether punitive or corrective, what sense does the story make to me? The allegory does not apply - but there's still applicability, of course!

I've decided that I can learn from applying the corrective element to my life before death. Becoming master of my time, finishing tasks, finding satisfaction in hard work/manual labor - all of these are things that would balance my life and correct lop-sided tendencies. Why wait until the afterlife to learn them?! Instead of rebelling against circumstances that force me to do unpleasant things, I could learn to accept them and see how they do me good. I could take time to think and listen for the voice of Grace in my life.

Tolkien's 'Workhouse' purgatory has a lot to teach me! Now, to stop just thinking about it and actually do it...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote