View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
I agree that there just isn't enough emotional intensity during the battle, other than Eomer running towards Eowyn's body.
I actually found Pelennor Fields to have a lot of emotion. Maybe, I'm just biased, because besides Boromir, Theoden is my favorite character. But, I just love Theoden's chutzpa speeches during this battle, to get you going.

Quote:
Eomer, take your éored down the left flank. Gamling, follow the King's banner down the center. Grimbold, take your company right, after you pass the wall. Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise. Arise, Riders of Théoden. Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered. A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises.
Then of course the lovely, "Death! Death!"

After the Rohirrim ride and send the orcs retreating, Theoden declares victory...
Quote:
We saved the City! (spots Haradrim and I love Bernard Hill's expression) Reform the lines...reform the lines...Sound the charge. Take them head on. Charge!
I think what makes these two lines good, and gets your blood going (and the goosebumps) is Bernard Hill's acting. Also, they back of Gamling's claim in TTT "Your men will follow you to whatever end."

I don't mind Eowyn spotting Theoden. The movie sets up a strong relationship between the two. With many scenes between them where Theoden is acting like a father to Eowyn...

TTT- Eowyn: I can fight! Theoden: No! You must do this...for me.

The scene with "I am happy for you. He is an honorable man."

Then, one of my favorites, with a bit of emotion itself...

Eowyn: What other duty would you have me do my lord?
Theoden: Duty? No...I would have you smile again. Not grieve for those whose time ahas come.

Let me point out two more scenes that we get in the EE, which adds more tears...

Eomer, finding Eowyn. Urban does great.

Eowyn fighting fiercely next to Theoden. Theoden has no idea its Eowyn, and gets this look like "Who is this person?" Such great stuff.

The only downsides I see is Aragorn's arrival, and that whole sequence with the dead army. And also, Gothmog chasing after Eowyn. What the heck?

Other than that I can not see how one can say Pelennor fields doesn't have a lot of emotion in it.

Edit: I got exactly what I was expecting from the Eowyn vs. WK scene....

"Fool no living man can slay me."
"I am no man!"

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-21-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote