View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 03:40 PM   #10
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Quote:
Read the book, this introduction is just gold.
If you look at my post #5, I said that is one of the dissapointments in the movies. I love when Eomer in this part. He sees the corsair ships, and begins to lose all hope, then the White Tree goes up. Oh, and when they meet in the midst of battle, "Let this be the hour when we draw swords together," is indeed gold. Even with the way done in the movies, the overuse of the green slime, I don't see how this takes away from all the other great moments that I listed...

Theoden's pep talks.
Eowyn vs. the WK.
Eomer finding Eowyn on the battlefield.
Eowyn fighting fiercely next to Theoden.
Theoden's words to Eowyn (I explain why I like this in post 5 as well).
I think another thing worth mentioning is the sequences on Pelennor between Merry and Eowyn.

So much great stuff in this scene. I agree with Tuor that the green slime does take away from Rohan even being there, but I don't think it lessens any part of the emotional scenes in this part of the movie.

Consider this point as well. If Rohan hadn't of arrived Aragorn wouldn't have gotten to the city in time to save it. Sauron's hordes are on what the 5th level? About to break through again with only a few Gondorian soldiers left with Gandalf and Pippin. Rohan arrives, clears the outside of orcs, then haults the Haradrim, so you can't just take out Rohan or Aragorn wouldn't have arrived in time.

I think any part after Theoden's death (excluding Gothmog's chase which was just absolutely ridiculous) was done bad. Especially the arrival of Aragorn and the green slime, that whole sequence and Legolas' Mumakil stunt. However, any part before that was I think done great, which is most of Pelennor fields.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote