Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #6995
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
MELKOR: The Spanish alien is in turmoil for him.
GRATITUDE: Impolite? It's the opposite! A way of walking, a pronoun ... all mingled!
LORD OF THE RING: Rocky?
MUFF: Mess it up, but for something warm?
BAGGINS: Huge drawback to him, but it sure turns out OK!
WATER: 'Tis rare in Mordor.
BALROG: Behold ... seize ... spin ... it's there!
CAPE: Batman has one!
THE HALFLING'S TROVE: Sounds like a pub, or pub's speciality - this trifle of Sauron's, according to Galdor.
TIPPET: One vowel-shift away from a palindrome! See it. Wear it!
SAURON: Sounds like a disrespectful name for the Professor in a particularly tart mood.

PASSWORD: MINUS ELEVEN

THEME: In relation to the password, the number of things above that are permitted to be mentioned or expressed at absolutely all times in every single work of Tolkien.

Or ... things/names someone forbids to be said/named/expressed/mentioned at least once in Tolkien's works.

MELKOR – Name forfeited – now Morgoth. (Most Elves – and some others?)
GRATITUDE – ‘Don’t talk about it, Mr Frodo! Bless you! I’d carry you on my back, if I could. Let it go then!’ (Sam).
LORD OF THE RING – ‘Hush! Evil things do not come into this valley, but all the same we should not name them. The Lord of the Ring is not Frodo, but …. (Gandalf)
MUFF/CAPE/TIPPET – ‘Don’t be a fool Mr Baggins if you can help it, and don’t mention furrier/muff/cape/tippet until you are a hundred miles from [Beorn’s] house.’ (Gandalf).
BAGGINS – ‘The name of Baggins must not be mentioned. I am Mr Underhill, if any name must be given.’ (Frodo).
WATER – ‘If Shagrat himself were to offer me a glass of water, I’d shake his hand.’ ‘Don’t say such things! It only males it worse.’ (Sam, then Frodo).
BALROG: ‘Name him not!’ (Gandalf).
THE HALFLING’s TROVE – A way in which Galdor refers to the One Ring at the Council – and the One Ring shouldn’t be mentioned – Frodo fears Pippin might at the Prancing Pony when he is telling the story of Bilbo’s farewell speech, and Sam accidentally blurts it out to Faramir – ‘Sam!’ cried Frodo aghast.
SAURON – As Huinesoron said in his last password (or should I say ‘password?’ ) – Sauron does not allow his servants to say or speak his name.

The record stood at: Urwen: 2 clues. Pervinca: 1 clue. Huinesoron: 0 clues.
The only way I could beat that was with a minus number ….

Over to you.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 06-16-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote