View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #133
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
So unless I'm mistaken, there are two unresolved issues here. First, the question of whether to include Ulmo's counsel that Turgon prepare for war in any way, and second whether to include the Rian sentence from VT50.

On the first question, it seems that long ago Findegil, Maedhros, and I had decided not to include Ulmo's counsel that Turgon rally all the Elves and Men he could and go to war against Morgoth. However, in looking at the chapter again, it seemed to me and Findegil that we been too hasty in rejecting it, and that support for keeping it can be found in the Tale of Years. However, Gondowe opposed its inclusion, on the basis that he was convinced that in the later story, the only hope that Ulmo saw was in the eventual birth of Earendil.

The last proposal from Gondowe keeps much of Ulmo's counsel but changes its import: Turgon is urged to make an alliance with all the Elves and Men he can, and gather his strength, but he is not told to go to war. I suppose the idea is that Ulmo wants him to be prepared for the Great Battle, but I have to say that I am skeptical of changing the text in this way - keeping the words but changing their meaning. Ultimately, I think I still lean toward including the whole of Ulmo's counsel.

What do Lindil and Eruhen think?

The Rian sentence is an easier matter, and actually I think that Findegil's latest proposal manages to introduce it without any problematic changes to the text.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote