View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 01:10 AM   #31
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I am sorry for your loss, Alatar.

You may not want to read my post, since it will offend some of you.

On the subject of death, I can't believe it to be a gift. Look at the world today. Is death something we look forward to? Do we hold celebrations for those who have died?(Not like the Day of the Dead, mind you.) Death is not something great, death is a malefactor.

If a man murdered my neighbor, would there be celebration? Would my neighbor still go around happily? No. He would no longer be able to do what he once did, to be with who he loved. His family would be distraught for all time and suffer from it. Death is more of a curse than anything. Even in Middle-Earth death was a malefactor. Take Aragorn's death. Though he passed on in peace and of old age his death still had a damaging effect on those around him; we all know the tale of Arwen. Theoden's death may have held honor and was prideful, but most of Rohan and Gondor felt only sadness. I believe Eru's gift had changed very much by the time men had entered the world.

Like I mentioned before, if my neighbor was killed there would be no celebration or happiness among the family, nor would his murderer feel bad. The man who murdered him would most likely be happy that he was dead. The man would not fear a higher presence. He would believe his victim to be gone forever and incapable of gaining revenge. To be honest, he would be right.

If a man was defending one that he loved and was killed, he would not be happy. He would be nothing more than a whisper on the wind who had failed to do what he had tried to accomplish. His loved one would die and their killer would most likely be joyful that they were no longer in the world.

I just can't see death as a gift. Sorry.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote