View Single Post
Old 10-24-2002, 04:34 PM   #280
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Throughout dinner that night, Phura was staring at Azra, again. Azra glared at him, trying to decide whether to be amused or embarassed, and finally said, "What? What's the matter?"

"Forgive me, " Phura blushed. "I shouldn't stare. I just--"

Nitir smiled. "Phura, don't worry. We're just like you. "

"That's what amazes me, " Phura replied.

Nitir raised an eyebrow.

"All when I was growing up, " he stuttered, "I read about you. About Nitir and Azra. And I thought- I always wanted--"

They waited. Phura staring at the ground, fumbled for Azraph's hand, and then spoke. "I-- the-- the reason that I first fell in love with Azraph-- was, was that I thought she was well named. That her character resembled her namesake, " he said, now fully crimson. "And, and I was right. Azra, you are like her." He was quite finished now, and far too embarassed to even meet their eyes. Azraph smiled at him, cheerfully, and squeezed his hand, and he took refuge in her gaze.

Azra, also blushing, didn't know what to say, so Nitir spoke. "Well, then, Azraph must be quite a character. Does she give the adults around her headaches very often?"

"Cami!" Azra replied indignantly.

Phura and Azraph both laughed. "Sometimes, yes."

"Well, Rose, " Nitir smiled, "three thousand years can do a lot for a reputation, but they know you are an imp. You can't hide that."

Phura was now far too embarassed to sit still. He kissed Azraph's hand, took the remains of his bread crust, and fled.

Azra stared at Azraph, not knowing what to say. Azraph smiled back at her. "What's the matter?"

"Aren't-- are you upset?"

"What, jealous? No. I was jealous of the other girl at first. Daisy. But now I know better."

"You do?" Nitir replied, a little startled. Azra wasn't quite sure how to respond either.

Azraph looked confidently at Azra, and smiled, and shrugged. "He told me I don't have to worry. And it's true. You know, he's practically worshipped me for seven years now. Azra, you're a really, really nice girl, and I'm glad you're my friend, but-- in the end, to him you're just a legend." Azra's jaw dropped, and Azraph gave her a warm hug. "Cheer up. It's nothing personal. But I'm not afraid of you taking Phura away from me."

Nitir patted Azra's shoulder. She understood what Azraph was saying, but she wasn't quite sure that Azra would.

[ October 24, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]