View Single Post
Old 09-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #92
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Some thing that came to mind after I did my above discussion of the Happy mariners song:
The Door of Night is only two times mentioned in Sil77 both times in the chapter The Voyges of Eärendil. Once when Eärendil passed it with his ship to lunch it into the sky and the other time when Morgoth is put through it to put him outside the world. In view of the old conception of the door as a way through which the Sun did went out to journey by night under the flat world that was okay, but since we have now the chasm of Ilme through which Sun and Moon make their journey under the roots of the World to the east, we must ask how Eärendil can be said to pass the Door of Night to come into the sky. And since he is told to come back to Valinor he must cross the Door of Night often which isn't very proable. And which propurse did the Door fulfill at that time at all? In view of what we read in Myths transformed I must say that it would be savest to skip the Door of Night from the journeys of Eärendil.

That would lead to:
Quote:
VE-11 ...
... But they took Vingilot, and they hallowed it, and they bore it away through Valinor to the uttermost rim of the world, and there it {passed through the Door of Night and was lifted} up even into the oceans of heaven. Now fair and marvellous was that vessel made, and it was filled with a wavering flame, pure and bright; and {Eärendel} [Eärendil] the mariner sat at the helm, glistening with dust of elven-gems; and the Silmaril was bound upon his brow. Far he journeyed in that ship, even into the starless voids; but most often was he seen at morning or at eve, glimmering in sunrise or sunset, as he came back to Valinor from voyages beyond the confines of the world.
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote