View Single Post
Old 02-12-2003, 09:54 PM   #36
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I'd like to add a couple of comments about the Inns.

Child has already addressed doug*platypus' concern about the geographical setting for the Inns and so I will briefly mention my response: they are not intended to prescribe or proscribe the settings for the games in each realm. Games do not have to start out at the Inns; nor should games be restricted to the time frame of the Inns. I blended Ride to the Dark Side with The White Horse simply because it is set in Rohan, but none of the other Rohan games--Kidnapped, Search for the Book, and My Crow Management--are linked there. And the movement from The Shire to Rohan to Gondor was intended simply to follow the path of the Fellowship.

The White Horse has allowed many gamers to try out different characters, which I think is great. Because it is a 'practice ground' without a plot of its own, it can be hard to follow, though. I am currently setting up two activities which will expand its reach and perhaps give intermediate gamers practice in areas that can be tricky: when and how to incorporate other gamers' characters in their own posts, and how to plan plotlines co-operatively. Rohan is not a place for tutorials, but I think practice in these two areas identifies intermediate gaming here at the Downs.

First, 'behind the scenes' I am helping to set up some short subplots, much like Child and Pio have done at The Green Dragon. This will provide a more focussed opportunity for interacting with other gamers (outside of a game) and maybe some practice in planning strategy as well. I know of both a new gamer and an experienced gamer who found some of the 'SAVEs' in Ride a bit of a hurdle. And there were two very good, very enthusiastic gamers who wanted to add more conflict to the game when its conclusion had already been announced and set up.

Second, I would like to see more opportunity to discuss gaming in The Horse. To this end, I will be creating a 'snowstorm' which blocks characters into the Inn, and thus stimulates more talk about games. I have invited some game owners--Aman, Aylwen, Susan for starters--to come and talk about how they set up their proposal, where they got their ideas, and what advice they can offer other gamers. Nonesuch is welcome to come, too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Horse has provided a good opportunity to develop new characters, but so far it has not stimulated discussion of plots and games. I would like to see that start to happen now. I wonder, if we had more discussion of sources like Unfinished Tales, would we have more games in Rohan?

With pio's and Child's permission, I am also currently reading through the games in The Shire to see who is ready to ride on to Rohan.

If anyone has any other ideas about what The Horse can do for the gamers in Rohan, feel free to post them here or contact me in PM.

Bethberry

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: Bethberry ]