View Single Post
Old 07-22-2001, 07:23 PM   #4
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Moderator
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Mechanical Monsters at the Fall of Gondolin?

I feel that we should eliminate the mechanical dragons. While I agree that a case can be made either way, I think we have sufficient evidence to justify this under principle 2; it seems that his latest conception was that these were merely 'dragons'; 'mechanical dragons' are really a completely different matter from ordinary living ones. While both the 'Sketch' and the 'Quenta' were drastically compressed, they were still essentially meant to be read by people who had no prior knowledge of the mythology. When Tolkien says 'dragons', I think we must accept that he means 'dragons' and not 'mechanical dragons'.

The only bit of evidence that makes me question this is 'dragons of many and dire shapes were new devised for the taking of the city.' This suggests that these dragons were made specifically for the sack of Gondolin. But I don't think this is really evidence for mechanical dragons. Prior to the Fall of Gondolin, the only dragon really known was Glaurung; indeed, he may well have been the ONLY dragon. Morgoth (perhaps at the suggestion of Maeglin) no doubt had to more or less re-invent the dragon after Glaurung's death. He now made (it seems) both fire-drakes like Glaurung and cold drakes like the later Scatha.

I do think that we should eliminate CRT's editorial 'of the brood of Glaurung'; the evidence would actually seem to point to these being not of the brood of Glaurung but of new design.

&lt;&lt;In FG Tolkien, as will apear in a quotations below, distinguishes between three kinds of monsters:
1. Those made of linked iron that flow like rivers of metal and are hollow within.
2. Those of bronze and copper with spirits of blazing fire and with great feet, blasting and trampling all in their path.
3. Extremely hot creatures of pure flame before which iron and stone melt and on which Balrogs ride.&gt;&gt;

I think these distinctions can be easily maintained. What we basically have when we eliminate mention of metal is:
1. Serpents (without legs or feet)that could not breathe fire.
2. Drakes (with legs and feet) that could not breath fire.
3. Drakes that could breathe fire (like Glaurung).

FG-D02: It feels a little artificial to me to keep the great mining and work of his thralls, but to entirely change its purpose. Still, it seems only logical that arms would be smithied in preparation for a battle. I think we might consider eliminating the whole passage, but it needs some thought.

That's all I can really contribute for the moment; this matter, I think, requires the input not only of the two of us and Lindil, but also of the various other members.

</p>
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote