View Single Post
Old 08-01-2002, 05:58 AM   #17
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

As anybody can easily see I am new registered on this board, but I have read especially in this part of the Downs for some time. And even when I must admit that I can't find your way of doing this revision in any point rightly done, I think you might be interested in some other idea how to deal with the mechanical dragons.

I would suggest something like this:
1. Iron Dragons: These were clearly a kind of machines rather then creatures. Why not retain them as such and eliminate the word dragon by a replacement (sorry I think my English is not good enough to devise one)?
2. The cooper and bronze dragons: These are a good description of dragons as they are mentioned in other Tolkien sources.
3. The purely flaming dragons: They do not rightly feel like Glaurung. What about retain them as kind of special devise of Morgoth and his sorcerers? I remember the Dagor Bargolach were it is said that with the streams of fire from Thangorodrim that consumed Ard-Galen came Glaurung and his brut and the Balrogs.

In the battle the dragon on which the Balrogs ride are described like normal fire-dragons. So they are more of the type 2.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote