View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #31
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Tolkien

I don't know how to state this other than I agree with both of you.
I agree with Aiwendil in the sense that the descriptions of the monsters of Gondolin fall under the stylistic part of the revision which is at this point a later thing to do.

I agree with Findegil in principle that there should be a distinction between the 3 different kinds of monsters. The more I read the Tale, the more I'm inclined to it. For example, the use of scales of iron and gold seems ok with me.
What I don't see yet is how can we differentiate the different types of Monsters. I hesitate in using the terms machines, things, etc. If a suitable term, IMO, can´t be found, I would leave it as it stands.

I think that the most important thing is to keep going foward and to finish or revision of part 3 and 4, so that we could go on to 5. Then, when we have the whole tale, we can discuss all parts of the texts where the Mechanical Monsters appear and discuss each and every one of them separately.