View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 02:32 PM   #40
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Posted by Maédhros:
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that we were going to make type 2 dragons normal ones, only with the note that they had scales of iron or copper.
Your are rigth that this was my initial plan. But Aiwendil insisted that it would need to much changes and that he would like to let the text as much as it is. So as it seems what I provided was the theory with which we could work with the text as it stood.
The only think I was concerned about (and still am a bit at least) is, that we have than no cleary mention of animal dragons in the text. To reconcile my theory with Aiwendils idea I postulated the categorie of the monsters as follows:

Type 1: mechanical monsters made of iron
Type 2: mechanical monsters made of copper and bronze (To make them animals while type 1 is still mechanical we had to edit the text heavily.)
Type 3: streams of fire
Type 4: animal fire dragons

What I tried out above was how we could work out the theory on each single mentioning of the monsters. For that I said:
Quote:
And that does prove good, for as I read the sentence we have know added the animal-dragons of "the brood of Glaurung". For further reference I will call this "normal" dragons Type 4.
The very faint distinguish between type 3 and type 4 that I could find was that I interpreted any "fire dragon", "fire-dragon", "fire drake" and "fire-drake" as type 4. and any serpents/dragon/stream or what ever of fire/flame as type 3. For that reason I whished the change in the last quote.

Posted by Maédhros:
Quote:
As I have already said in the beginning, I think that I would like to distinguish in the Tale each and every type of dragon/monster as to the category it belongs.
I found it also necessary at firts to comunicat what we decied. But we did clearly disagree with Aiwendil in this. And in view of the principals, I must say, that Aiwendil is right: If we find that mechanical monsters are possible, than we must not change the text only for clearty.

Posted by Maédhros:
Quote:
As to the specific changes that Findegil has made, let me look at every one of them in order to voice my opinion.
Well, when you look closer at my over last posts you will find that I have changed nearly nothing. I only collected the mentionings of the dragons/monsters and discussed each in turn. Only the last quote of all the tale created a problem and it seems that I can come to an agreement even with the most conservativ Aiwendil to change that singel entry from "firedrakes" to "drakes of fire".

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote