View Single Post
Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #289
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I have deliberately avoided speaking about YHVH because I don't believe
much light can be shed on Tolkien's creation by reading it in the light of the Bible. The Secondary World must be self contained & not dependent on the Primary - it may reflect aspects of the Primary but it is not an allegory of it.

One can only accept the events & characters of the S.W. as events that happened in, & characters who inhabit, another reality, one which is bound by its own rules & I attempted to demonstrate that applying the rules of this world to the S.W. is bound to lead to confusion - admittedly I have done that in a very roundabout way.

The only approach which is likely to work is to simply read the stories as far as possible without judgement & allow them to work on you as they will....

Or to put it another way, this has, imo, gone as far as it can & I can't sustain anymore interest in it.

So, unless someone manages to come up with some interesting new angle on things to draw me back in I shall leave you all to it now.....
davem is offline   Reply With Quote