View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 03:36 AM   #1
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
Why Frodo is so misunderstood and underrated character?

Okay, this has been my question since the day I finished the books last year and joined the Facebook pages of LotR. It's quite common to see people degrading Frodo most of the time. Like, "Frodo wouldn't have made it without Sam," "Frodo's quest would have been in vain if not for Gollum." or "Frodo didn't do a ****.." and blah blah! Many, I see, completly misinterprete his character. For example there was a thread entitled Failure and Punishment where the author of the book (whose ideas about Frodo were reason of the thread) made many silly comments. Rest, I see people talking about him from start to the end in all the negative terms: His decision to go to Mordor in Rivendell is said to be his desire to not being able to part with the Ring; while in reality it is complete the opposite. His mercy for Gollum is said to be "his selfish desire to have a way for himself to survive" while books speak completly the opposite. His so-called failure is deemed as a sign "of weakness" and by some "of pride". Books completly speak otherwise. His sacrifice is said to be of lesser degree than it actually is. And worst of all, his departure from ME is believed to be "his desire to enjoy the life/bliss in the UL." While reading the books, I nowhere got these ideas, so how come many readers ignore there facts clearly written the book and degrade Frodo?

I really apologise for the thoughts not being not proper for now. I hope it all made sense.