View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
I believe every member of the Company, including Frodo, were against taking the road into Moria. Even Celeborn thought this road was folly and needless.
Celeborn may have thought so, but Galadriel admonished him nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR, Bk. 2, ch. 7
He would be rash indeed that said that thing <...> Needless were none of the deeds of Gandalf in life.
Let us go back to what happened. Gandalf recalled that "Aragorn was against it, until the pass over the mountains had at least been tried." [ch. 4] They tried and they failed. Boromir suggested they go south by the Gap of Rohan but Gandalf told him that as long as the Ring was with them they could not because there was Saruman in waiting. Besides, when Boromir compared Moria to a stronghold of Sauron Gandalf admonished him in the following manner:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotR, bk. 2, ch. 4, p. 354
I alone of you have ever been in the dungeons of the Dark Lord, and only in his older and lesser dwelling in Dol Guldur. Those who pass the gates of Barad-dûr do not return.
He would not lead them into Moria if there was no way out. Even though he did not make it, he got them out in the end. Gimli was not averse to going through Moria, though Aragorn and Boromir were. However, Gandalf said it best I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf to the Company
the question is: who will follow me, if I lead you there?
Aragorn pointedly replied, "You followed my lead almost to disaster in the snow, and have said no word of blame."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker
not via other safer means
But were the other, watched ways, really safer?