View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 03:03 PM   #38
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Do you believe Maggot was justified in his threat to set his dogs unmercifully on trespassers, as he implied to Merry? A farmer will have his way in his own farm, I guess.
Living in a rural area myself, I know almost everyone around and everyone knows me. We all know what belongs to whom, etc.

I suspect the Shire was much the same. Everyone knew everyone's business, which nearly drove Bilbo mad once he began adventuring. Furthermore, a farm is a clear and obvious piece of property, and almost every bit is covered in his product - animals, crops, etc. In a way, when you walk onto his farm, you are walking into his warehouse - and just so happens his family lives there too.

Any harmless passerby, even a hobbit that didn't know Maggot, would (should) have the courtesy to approach properly, right down a main path to the farmer's door. You did say 'without leave' - implying that he could grant leave. I don't think he meant to have no visitors whatsoever. He lived on the border, near scarier lands, so had every right to look out for himself.