View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #75
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

The three tiered system does have it's problems and advantages obviously, as those have been stated, and on the whole it works quite well. The problem being people just seemingly don't want to move ahead, as there are too many limited options in the upper levels. Being able to play in Rohan and Gondor is one thing, but actually proposing games in the sparsely populated fora is another.

I think, and this is just being thrown out on a whim by me, that we need a new system for moving up. I was thinking of this, and when reading Mith's post I realised why our current system is in place, the fact that we do need game owners to take burdens off the Moderators, something I had never considered. While making it to Rohan is supposed to be considered a goal, it seems to not be considered one by quite a lot of people in The Shire, for reasons Sophia pointed out.

I think we obviously do need to keep the game ownership system in place, but, I think having moving to Rohan be the reward for running a game is unneccesary, as that doesn't seem to be the reason people are starting games. They seem to be starting games simply for the benefit of seeing their own ideas in action, which, is a perfectly wonderful reason.

One idea that occured to me is that we could have a reviewal board of certian RPGers. People who wished to move to Rohan and above would submit pieces of their RPGing to the board, that would then review them, and decide whether or not the poster needs more time in the current place of residence, or that they deserve to move up. One of the obvious problems would be favoritism of the people on the board, but I'm sure if we can have a more than one person on it, that favoritism would be near nil, and the members would be objective. I realise this would be a certainly voluminous amount of work, especially on the part of the reviewers, but it does work, and if enough candidates for the board could be gotten...well, then I think it could actually work. I think people would be more inclined to try and move up, if the system worked something like this.

Like I said, this is just one proposal, so far there hasn't been a terrible lot of new suggestions...so, this might as well be posted. Feel free to criticize or add to it as you will. Any thoughts?

Edit: A lot of this is probably incoherent, and not to mention irrelevent, but some solution need proposing, and being I'm now a member of the Green Dragon, and want to move to Rohan at some point, I felt this in some way applied to me.

[ August 12, 2003: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote