View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 08:53 AM   #214
Lumiel

Lumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril If we don't see each other again...

It was decided. They would all be a part of the rescue attempt. They made their way around carefully to the pipe, tying up their horses in a nearby yet secluded grove. Horses would be very dangerous to bring within, and they would have need of them when all was finished. If they lived, that was. Lumiel rubbed Felweth's nose affectionately and hugged his neck, whispering soft reassurances to him. Felweth nudged her neck and face in reply and whinnied softly, as if sure that he would see her again. Lumiel prayed that Felweth would be alright, that whatever evil fate might befall her would be spared of him. All she could do was have faith.

The rain came down in torrents, leaving nothing dry. Mud was inescapable, and they were soon covered from head to toe, or nearly so. "Thoronmir, let me go first! I'm quiet and small, and I see well enough in the dark. Let me scout it and pass word back!" said Falco in a hoarse voice. Despite her dislike of the hobbit's attitude in general, she had to admire him. Such small stature and such a quick seeming temper belied his courage and perseverance.

"All right, Falco, you'll go first," Thoronmir said. "Get inside and whistle if you are okay. Don't take too much time looking around. If we don't hear from you within five minutes we'll all go in prepared for serious trouble."

"Okay," the hobbit said, "I'm going now." He started inside.

"Falco," the Ranger called after him. "Be careful in there, and good luck to you."

Falco nodded and quickly scrambled into the pipe and was soon lost to sight and sound. She stood just behind Thoronmir and the Rangers, with Lira and Eswen behind her. She looked over to Furman, who crouched right beside her. He seemed anxious, but his face glowed with hope and something else. She kneeled next to him, ignoring the mud since she was already covered. "Furman, are you alright?" she asked him.

His eyes shot up to meet hers, as though he had been snapped awake from a dream. "What? Oh. Well, yes, better than I have been in a long time. But..." he paused, as if unsure how to continue. "I'm glad that you are all here, glad that you may be the beginning of the Master's demise. I'm glad that Eodwine may be saved, that others have already been saved. It's just - " he stopped, his already low voice halted by a look of Thornomir who put his finger to his mouth in a silencing guesture. Furman looked down with a pensive face and clenched his jaws, his still-bound hands laid across his knees.

Lumiel had a feeling of what he had been about to say and leaned in close, placing a hand to his shoulder and whispered quietly enough that the only evidence that she had spoken to any watching would have been the movement of her mouth. "It's just that you're afraid. I won't let you or any of the others die. Trust in me." she finished and pulled away again. Furman sighed in response and she could only hope that she had eased some of his anxiety.

She moved over a foot or so to Lira and Eswen and grasped one of each of their hands. "Mellon, may the Valar protect us." she spoke softly, loud enough just for elven hearing. She gave Lira a hug and whispered by her ear, "Life has been lost, but it will come again, it lives in you." She let go and looked at her with wide, expressive blue eyes, a warm smile on her face that seemed to banish the fear and danger of the moment away, at least for an instant.

She turned to Eswen and in turn gave her a hug as well. The tall, dark elf had always seemed somewhat aloof to her, but she had a large heart, Lumiel knew, and one filled with bravery and strength that could last through the darkest night until dawn. "Thank you, Eswen, but don't lose yourself in the night." she spoke to her. Ever since the first appearance of the Dark Queen, Lumiel worried. The Dark Queen was a powerful force, but one which she would not like to see dominate in Eswen. She believed in Esgallhugwen's strength though, to control it. She gave Eswen the same hopeful look she had given Lira and went to Finewen who was not far away.

She seemed alone and quiet, almost numb to the outside world. Her hand played over the handle of her blade and her look was a distant one. Lumiel sat down beside her and gently took one of her hands. "Please don't stay so far away." Lumiel said. "You're an amazing woman, Finewen, and you have such great promise." she whispered. She squeezed her hand once before letting go. Although they had not gotten to know one another very well, Lumiel probably shared the most in common with the young woman. Lumiel hoped she would survive. She hoped that they all would, but she had a dark sense that none of them would be the same when they came out. She stood and quietly walked to Falowik, pulling a stray hair behind her ear which had been plastered to her face.

She put out her hand and Falowik, a bit confused, grasped it tightly. Lumiel grasped their hands with her other hand and he did the same. "Uien would be proud. Never doubt yourself, you're stronger than you realize." Her soft blue eyes seemed set under her brow with a fiery strength, yet her face and her pose gave off a sense of youthful, almost naive hope. She gave one last squeeze of their hands and went back to her place by Furman.

Thoronmir looked at her with an expression half between rebuke and thankfullness. Before he could speak, she struck out her hand once again and he took it in a strong grip. They shook once, a good strong shake, and Lumiel mouthed to him, "Thank you." Without him, they most likely wouldn't have made it halfway through their journey alive. He had done so much for them, and "thank you" simply did not even come close to the gratitude they all owed him. Any further guesture she might have given was cut off by a short whistle from within the tunnel. The others heard it as well and stood, their muscles tensed, awaiting Thoronmir's order.

Last edited by Lumiel; 04-20-2004 at 12:19 PM.